I made these for my classes months and months ago. They went down a treat. I promised my students I would get the recipe up, here you go.. eventually!!
Spiralina is ridicuously good for you. It is a blue green algae that contains a huge amount of nutrients and vitamins such as protein, vitamine B1, B2, B3, copper and iron, all the essential amino acids we need and the correct ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids. It has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, appears to have anti-cancer properties, reduce blood pressure,muscle strength and endurance may inproves and it has the added bonus of helping to reduce your blood sugar levels. Convinved?!
Spiralina can be a tough one to get into your food and its quite an intense flavour. Smoothies are always a good way to get some spiralina into your diet. I am a big fan of Synergy Super Greens which also includes barley grass, chlorella and wheat grass.
But how better to get some spiralina into you that with some yummy energy balls and so quick and easy to make. I use hemp seeds here but you could put chia seeds or anything you fancy just don’t forget the spiralina!!
A friend gave me a great tip recently that had never occurred to me. Lots of my raw treats are great out of the freezer so if you want to make a batch of these and want to stop yourself from devouring them all there and then, leave them in the freezer for a rainy low energy day!
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2 TBSP Spirulina
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (the oil will probably be hard so warm it over a bowl of water until liquid)
- 3 TBSP organic, raw honey (soft is easier)
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut flakes
- Pinch of pink himalyian salt sea salt
- 1 inside of a vanilla bean, or 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder or extract
1. Mix all the ingredients together
2. Spoon out teaspoon size chunks and using your hands roll into small balls. Sprinkling coconut flakes on a plate and roll the balls in the coconut flakes.
3. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes