I love these energy balls and they are so easy to make. I made them for my students this week and the common response was that they could not believe they were actually good for you!!
The following is the basic recipe but you can play around it, using any nuts you like and adding in any extra ingredients. I tend to throw in whatever I have in the cupboard e.g.bee pollen, chia seeds, hemp seeds, macca, goji berries etc.
10 dates ( soaked for an hour preferably, in cold water to soften them)
100g of pecan nuts( soaked in cold water over night, this makes them easier to digest)
1 heaped teaspoon of cacao powder
Dried coconut flakes
1. Drain the nuts and dry with a towel. Blend in a food processor or blender; you want them nicely ground you don’t want to make nut butter.
2. Add the cacao powder, blend on low speed for a few seconds.
3. Drain and de-stone the dates. Begin first by just adding 6 dates and a drop of water.
4. Process on low or use the pulse setting until the dates and pecans become together into one mass.
You want the texture to be such that you can pinch off teaspoon-size chunks and roll them up with your palms into bite-size balls. If need be, add another mushed up date or two, but always be conservative in adding extra dates, as once the mixture gets too moist, it’s very difficult to fix by adding more nuts. You can add more dates and water gradually if you like until you get the desired texture.
5. Spoon out teaspoon size chunks and using your hands roll into small balls. Sprinkling coconut flakes on a plate and roll the balls in the coconut flakes.
Easy peasy!! Enjoy!!
Would love to know if you give them a go!!