The summer is such a great time for barbeques and with such amazing weather this year we were lucky to have hosted and been invited to many. But being a vegetarian, hosts have this fear in their face when they remember that I don’t eat meat and what the heck are they going to feed her!!! So I always bring my own veggie burgers J I always have a batch premade in the freezer that I can just take one out in a moment’s notice and bring it with me so taking the stress off my lovely hosts! I make lots of different types of veggie burgers but this is one I return to all the time. Super easy and very yummy! Even my carnivore hubby loves these!!
85g Brown Rice
400g Black Eyed Beans (you can use any beans such a kidney beans, flageolet beans etc)
115g raw cashew nuts
3 garlic cloves
1 red onion
2 tablespoons of tomatoe puree
1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano(dried works well too)
2 tablespoon of flour(I tend to use a gluten free or wholemeal flour but any flour will do)
2 tablespons of sunflower oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Cook the brown rice until tender. Pop into a blender or food processor.
Add the beans, cashew nuts, garlic, onion, sweetcorn, tomato puree, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Blend together to the consistency you like. I prefer my veggie burgers not too
1. blended so you can see the chunks of ingredients. Others I know prefer their burgers to be completely bound together so work with your preference.
2. Shape into 6 or so burger patties. Cover and leave to chill in the fridge for up to an hour
3. Brush with a little oil and cook over medium heat on the barbeque for 5-6 minutes each side.
4. I love these with a slice of halloumi and a slice of grilled aubergine or courgette in a toasted bun